Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Cape Peninsula University of Technology, the largest university in the Western Cape and based in South Africa, will showcase their International Trans-disciplinary Leadership Academy through Community Engagement. The academy gives international students the opportunity to develop individual leadership skills and to practice the spirit of Ubuntu through engagement with local communities in Cape Town, South Africa. The academy further strives to:
- Inculcate a sense of social justice and human rights through community engagement;
- Promote graduate attributes through values-based education which answers the ontological questions or ... "Who am I in this world? How do I contribute to society? What do I believe? ";
- Understand individual leadership styles and practical strategies on how to grow these through community engagement;
- Understand and conceptualize community project ideas that build and appreciate indigenous knowledge systems;
- Develop a holistic approach to scholarship or engagement through trans-disciplinary community engagement projects;
- Lead to an understanding of social integration, cultural diversity, partnerships and networks and how to contribute to positively building society; and
- Create a platform to explore research opportunities for community engagement.
The basket of tracks from: 1) Ubuntu Youth Leadership and community engagement practice ; 2) The Pedagogy or Service-Learning / Community Engagement ; 3) Space and Place: Rural and urban community mapping ; and 4) South African Culture and Cuisine. The academy creates multiple learning and development opportunities for students, staff and communities, to engage on an international and intercultural level.